Welcome!

This site is currently under construction as I add the hundreds of recipes in my personal collection. I'm starting with desserts because, well, they're my favorite! These are the best recipes I've come across in the 15 plus years that I've been actively cooking and baking. I've collected them from people all over the country/world, and I've given credit to the folks I've taken these recipes from whenever possible. Please be courteous and do likewise. Many of these recipes are my own personal twists on cookbook classics, and I'd like to preserve my intellectual property.



Saturday, November 13, 2010

Tres Leches Cake

1 pkg. yellow, white, strawberry, or butter cake mix (I've even had tres leches chocolate cake before) I like butter cake best, because it holds its own against the tres-leches topping.
Prepared according to instructions. Set aside to cool

1 c. milk
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 can evaporated milk
1/2 cup coconut milk
Mix thoroughly

Poke holes in the top of cooled cake with a fork or toothpick. Pour milk mixture over cake until it has reached your desired level of moistness (some people like just a bit of gooeyness, some people like the cake drowning in milk- your call)

1-1/2 c. heavy whipping cream- whipped
3 tbsp. sugar
1/3 to 1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
Gently fold sugar, vanilla, and sour cream into whipped cream.
Spread over cake.

Garnish with sliced strawberries, peaches, mango, or raspberries
Serve cold and store leftovers in freezer

*I came up with this tres-leches recipe as a twist on the traditional tres-leches that is served at EVERY birthday party in my husband's family. Luis's cousin Hector told me it was the best tres leches he'd ever had. He wasn't kidding. The sour cream in the whipped topping gives it a little bit of zip and keeps the whole thing from getting overly sweet. The coconut milk plays warmly off of the buttery cake. I never have leftovers when I serve this cake at parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment