Welcome!

This site is currently under construction as I add the hundreds of recipes in my personal collection. I'm starting with desserts because, well, they're my favorite! These are the best recipes I've come across in the 15 plus years that I've been actively cooking and baking. I've collected them from people all over the country/world, and I've given credit to the folks I've taken these recipes from whenever possible. Please be courteous and do likewise. Many of these recipes are my own personal twists on cookbook classics, and I'd like to preserve my intellectual property.



Saturday, November 13, 2010

Mexican Bread Pudding

Ana Gloria Cano Montes de Farias (aka Mama')

2 pkg of dry, toasted bread (you can buy this pre-purchased in the Latin foods aisle of most grocery stores... or just take the intitiative and toast your own small loaves of bread)
2 cans sweetened condensed milk
1/4 lb pecans or almonds
" raisins
1 bar cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
4 cups milk
4 eggs
2 bars butter

boil milk w/ sugar, raisins, and cinnamon, until raisins are soft. Remove from heat.
blend sweetened condensed milk and eggs.
add butter to hot milk mixture and blend until melted. Carefully add in sweetened condensed milk and eggs.
Grease pan. Cover with layer of toasted bread. Cover bread with milk, raisins, and nuts. Add another layer. Cover. Add a third layer and cover.

Place in oven (approx 350) for 20 minutes or until the milk has been entirely absorbed by the bread and a knife inserted in middle comes out clean.

*I got this recipe from my MIL several years ago. She doesn't cook with recipes, but was kind enough to dictate this one to me. We made it for Christmas Morning Breakfast my first Christmas as a newlywed.

2 comments:

  1. Does two bars of butter mean a half-pound?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pretty sure Mama' uses standard-sized bars in 1/2 cup increments, so I guess 2 bars would be 1 cup.

    ReplyDelete